The idea with smoke testing is to test all the software on the cd. Obviously this takes some time. Also part of the plan is to install software you know and use to test for bugs in those too.
The idea with smoke testing is that bug are found earlier and developers have more time to resolve issues.
It is important therefore that you get any bug confirmed and passed onto the triagers as soon as possible.
What To Do
Install your preferred desktop version Ubuntu, Kubuntu and Xubuntu (others welcome to join in)
- If you do this more than once vary the partitioning method to try an locate bugs in the installer
Use the software from the cd as if it were your main system Examples are Evolution, Kmail, Thunderbird for mail etc
- Once completed install apps you commonly use that aren't on the cd and test those too
What To Report
- Any Breakage to any app no matter how small, as long as it is reproducible
- Any faults with the installer
- Any issues trying to install apps
- Any issues trying to enable plugins for browsers or apps
How To Report
- Unless there is a crash apport tends to not be triggered
In order to get a similar amount of information as apport click on help and see if there is a Report A Problem Link
- This adds valuable information to the report that can help the triagers and developers
- If this is unavailable then try and follow the example below. Of these steps to reproduce is the most important section.
RELEASE: CD/DVD VARIANT: ISO BUILD: SYMPTOMS: STEPS TO REPRODUCE:
Let Us Know What You Tested
Once you have completed the testing go Here to report your results