Release upgrade from within the desktop.
- Preliminary step: Install all updates available for the release you want to upgrade.
run update-manager, click check and if any update is available click install
Run update-manager -d -c from a terminal
for Kubuntu, see https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LucidUpgrades/Kubuntu
- Click the upgrade version button
- Watch it upgrade, noting any errors
- If you had compiz running, test if it is still running after the upgrade
- If compiz was not running, try to enable it via System/Preferences/Apperance, then go to Desktop Effects and set it to "Normal effects"
- Verify that it works by pressing SUPER(windows key)+e
- Verify that the workspace layout and the keybindings are preserved
- Open the Example Documents and play the "Experience ubuntu.ogg" and see if that playing works
- Press ALT+F2 and type "glxgears" and see if it works
- Watch out for screen artifacts
Please report any problems you observe and include some details of the problem and the files "~/.xsession-errors" and the output of "lspci -n"